Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Media Revolution Part 5: The Filter

Filter. [fil-ter] -verb 9. to act as a filter for; to slow or partially obstruct the passage of


Other parts to The Media Revolution are here:

Part 1 || Part 2 || Part 3 || Part 4


I started The Media Revolution series almost a year ago, last August to be exact. It took a long time, just as I said but I feel the series has now come to a fitting end. I say this, because I feel I have finally found a way to "beat the system" or at least cheat it to work in my advantage. The funny thing is, this has been at my disposal the whole entire time. It just took a lot of soul-searching, research and trial and error to finally come to it's conclusion. All it took was a heated discussion back in April, which prompted the 4th part of The Media Revolution.

A year prior to that, I would have snapped. Cursed. And just flat out went off. I was the complete opposite. Calm. Cool. Collected. Clear. Concise. I walked away satisfied with the results. I've grown. I realized quickly my growth came from me being able to do something that has always been a tool: filter. Such a simple word that can be turned into an action. A noun into a verb. Filter. Say it. Fil-ter. Do you know how easy life is once you realize that you can filter out whatever it is you want?

Let me explain. For instance, the social networking application called TweetDeck has this amazing feature called "Global Filter". You're able to type in keywords and usernames on Twitter and in your news feed it will filter out those words. BRILLIANT! I finally started using this amazing feature a few months ago and let me tell you, my social networking experience has improved drastically. Sure there are somethings that still make it on my timeline that I'm not too happy about, but for the most part I'm very satisfied. What I don't understand is, why don't more people use this option? Not only can you do this on Twitter, Facebook has an option where you can hide certain friends from seeing information and pictures about you so this isn't exclusive to Twitter. You can also filter out certain websites on your computer. Channels on your television. Songs or artists that play on your Grooveshark or Pandora radio stations. As invasive as the media can be in our everyday lives, our main source of media consumption can be filtered out to YOUR liking! I don't know about you, but I find that extremely helpful.

But yet, I still see people complain about what they see or that gets thrusted before their eyes. I know, I'm one of them. But did you know not only can you filter your media consumption, you can also filter your personal life? I mean, really think about it. If you don't like how something is working out for you, filter it to your liking. Take that dirt that is in your way and sift through it to find the gold laying right before your eyes. It's right there, all you have to do is make a conscious effort and make a personal vow that you will mold your influences to however you see fit. That's what I did. Which led to my metamorphosis into a better person. A person that doesn't let the media influence his thinking, his actions. I make my own decisions based off the filter that I placed on my media outlets as well as my personal life. No longer am I going to get upset about the things that make me upset when I see them, because I filtered them from my sight. Out of sight, out of mind. It may not be 100%, but it's enough to take control of what you want to see and hear about.

With my filter, I decided to take it a step further. So, if you would ever so kindly click this link here I can tell you what I did with my filter.

No comments:

Post a Comment