Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Media Revolution: The Epilogue

First and foremost, I want to thank you for clicking the link that led you to this page. If you didn't click the link that's okay, but I do suggest that you read The Media Revolution Part 5: The Filter to get a better understanding of what I'm about to explain.

If you already know, I have a filter. We all have a filter. Our filters are what we create to our personal liking whether you do this consciously or subconsciously. As I said before, I decided to take my filter a step further. Sometime earlier this year, I was ranting and raving about the state of Hollywood and it's lackluster movie releases. Remakes and rebooting movie franchises. Lazy imaginations that are running the film world who are just out to make a quick buck. Then I saw something cross my timeline that read, paraphrasing: "If you don't like what you're seeing, do something about it." What a simple and profound statement.

If you didn't know and this is the first time you've ever came across my blogs, I'm an aspiring screenwriter, so me being passionate about this is justifiable. But what I realized after reading that is even though I am striving to be a writer, I'm not doing this to my full potential. Not even close. I wasn't even really trying to be completely honest. Sure, I had written a few short scripts but I never took the initiative to get them filmed. They were just sitting in my laptop wasting away, not realizing their full potential in the motion picture format. That's when I decided enough is enough, let's really put in some work.

I started writing my first original screenplay. The idea was inspired by The Prince by Niccoli Machiavelli. And that's all I'm going to tell you about that one so don't ask. As I'm writing and outlining for a couple months I hit a snag. Not a writer's block, but a snag. I realized this isn't what I wanted to do. The script that is. There was something else I was more passionate about writing. Something that I just couldn't shake from my head. It's actually playing in my ears right now. Frank Ocean's "Nostalgia/Ultra". It just ended on the last track of the mixtape, Nature Feels. Now as I sit here in silence, I'm going to key you in on what I'm getting at here with "Filtering".

Little did I know, upon listening to this mixtape that Frank Ocean was telling us a story. These weren't just random songs slapped together, this was a cohesive non-linear story. I say non-linear because the track listing doesn't go in order to the story. For example, "Novacane" has a lyric that goes:

"I'm feelin' like
Stanley Kubrick, this is some visionary shit/
Been tryna film pleasure with my Eyes Wide Shut but it keeps on movin'


Now take that lyric, and combine it with a song that shows up later on called "Lovecrimes". I'm sure most of you know by now, but if you didn't, the dialogue at the end of Lovecrimes is actually Nicole Kidman's character in EYES WIDE SHUT. Frank knew what he was doing. It took me countless plays but in this crazy head of mine, I was able to "script" in my head the songs that Frank was singing and play the images out as I saw fit. Each song was a piece of a puzzle that was a past relationship Frank had in the past. What I did was literally take his mixtape, and write a script about it. At this point, I don't know what's going to happen. But what I do know is with my filter, I am going to take the responsibility and do my best to make something what I want to see. If I'm not happy with the general state of film, then I'm going to try and make something happen with a film idea of my own. And this is where The Media Revolution comes in.

This is a time where everything is instantaneous in the social networking media. If something happens in the sports world, I can get that information on Twitter before I get the ESPN Alert text or it comes on Sportscenter. That's how powerful and quickly news can spread with social networking. I'm just going to do the same thing. And that's where you come in. If you feel as passionate as I do or are at least as curious as I am, do me a favor and hit up @Frank_Ocean with this blog and let him know you want to see a Nostalgia/Ultra movie. Create a buzz. I'm not telling you do to anything, I'm just giving you the option to sift your filter to something that you may want to happen. In the meantime, I'm going to keep using my filter and shape my media consumption how I see fit and do something about it. Thank you for taking the time to read all of this, I know it was a lot to say but I had to say it and make it as clear as possible. Now it's time to work.

-Chauncey Balsom

No comments:

Post a Comment