Monday, November 1, 2010

Making of Skeeter Valentine

As most of you know by now, I was Mosquito "Skeeter" Valentine from the '90s Nickelodean cartoon "Doug" for Halloween.



I'll like to take you through the making of my costume with a couple pictures that I took along the way:






This is the shirt I bought from the website My Party Shirt for $14.95. I also bought these shorts that I didn't take a picture of so you can click on the link to see them. They were $13.95. My Party Shirt is also just a good site period, I found some pretty nifty costumes and shirts surfing the site so check it out if you're into the vintage tee look.



I was unable to find red fabric for some odd reason so I just decided last second to take an old red shirt that I had no intention of ever wearing again in order to make Skeeter's shorts. Hence the black sharpie circle and scissors. What I used with the help of my roommate's girlfriend, Sarah, is a couple bobby pins and this is the finished product of said shorts:






Now it was time for me to make the shoes. I had an OLD ass pair of white Airwalks from I don't know when and I grabbed a tube of yellow and red face paint from a Halloween store that cost me $1.99 per tube. This is before I was fully finished with them, but you got the idea:




*bangs on a trash can and drums on a street light for the drumroll*

And now...the finished product!





To paint myself green, I used some of that same face paint I mentioned earlier that was $1.99 which only took one green tube to cover my face, neck, ears, arms, and legs. Overall I spent a grand total of $41.07 to create my costume. I had a fun time making it, the best part actually was painting the shoes. Took a long longer than I thought it would to paint them but I'm glad at how they came out in the final product. I received a lot of compliments for the creativity and originality of the costume which I had hoped for. I wasn't prepared for the amount of people who REALLY thought I was either The Hulk or The Flash at first until I told them who I was lol. I'm already thinking of my costume for next year, which just maybe another Nickelodean character...maybe, what do you guys think?

2 comments:

  1. man im all up on my party shirt.... its over for that website. bout to buy all type of shirts and shit i dont need

    ReplyDelete