Tuesday, July 6, 2010

30 Letters In 30 Days-Day 6, A Stranger

Dear Stranger,

I hope I am not writing this letter in vain and this letter will reach you someday. You were sitting across from me on the B Train as it was going downtown a little less than 6 months ago. It was mid-afternoon, sunny. And you had on shorts, flip flops and a blue and white tank top. You had a pen in hand writing in a notepad with a concentrated look on your face, and then your cell phone rang. I don't know who you were talking to due to all the noise on the train, but you seemed to be so engaged in your conversation you forgot your pen and notepad on the train and walked away. I just want to let you know that I've had them, and I also read your notepad. I apologize for invading your privacy, but I just had to take a glance at what you were jotting down due to the emotion you displayed on your face as you were writing. Upon reading this, I realized that you are no longer a stranger to me, but a friend. Your writings helped me in ways that you could never understand, or maybe you do. You see, I was on the way to a hearing that day about gaining half custody of my son. I was very nervous that the request was going to be declined, which it did. I can't blame the judge, he had every right to. At the time I was in between jobs, constantly high, and even had a charge of domestic violence on my at the time girlfriend and mother of my child. After I left the courthouse that day a broken man, I pulled out the notebook you left and began reading to take my mind off of what just happened and I was simply at a loss at the beauty in the words you displayed on paper. I've never been so moved before by anything other than the birth of my son. Such raw emotion and hope. This inspired me to become a better man not only for myself, but for my son. It gave me a reason to live. I just want to let you know that upon reading your entries, I am now 5 months sober and on the verge of possibly gaining half custody of my son again. I am now holding a job and have passed my 90-day evaluation period and on the payroll full time. I'm actually writing this letter to you using your pen and in your notebook on the way to the hearing, once again nervous but at least this time I am ready and hopefully will have my prayers answered and it's all thanks to your words. I haven't been on the train since, but I do remember you got on the train after I did so hopefully when I leave your pen and notebook on the seat where you sat across from me that faithful day you'll see it and be happy that I kept it all this time. If not, then I hope the next person that picks this up will be inspired just as much as I was. I wish you left some kind of contact information so I can properly meet you and thank you in person but maybe it's better this way. I at least want to know your name, but the least I can do is give mine.

Thank you,

Chauncey

Disclaimer: This is fiction by the way, I have never had a drug problem nor do I have any kids. I've never even been on a train. I only made this story up for this reason: you never know who you're going to make an impression on, so make sure it is a good impression because the way you carry yourself may inspire another to go on and do good things in the world and so forth. With this, we can eventually change the world and make it a better place for us and others that will come after us. But it all starts with you and wanting to make this change. Anything is possible just as long as you make the right decisions towards creating a better you. In short, always act accordingly.

4 comments: