Saturday, July 3, 2010

30 Letters In 30 Days-Day 3, My Parents

Dear Parents,

This is a non-thank you letter. Meaning I'm going to list what I'm not going to thank you for. I'm not going to thank you for giving me clothes, a bed to sleep in, a roof over my head and food. You're supposed to do that, if you didn't you'd be in jail for child abuse because of the times we live in. There should never really be a reason that a parent can't provide at least 1 of these 4 things for their children at a given time. Every parent does this for their child from the slums to the suburbs so that's not what makes you special. What I am going to thank you for is allowing me to express myself as a child, but also disciplining me and giving me structure to stay grounded as I became an adult. Thank you for taking the time to teach me things that no one else could such as how to respect others as well as myself. Thank you for stepping up and taking responsibility in raising me to be a free thinker as well as a man of action, even if I do procrastinate about it to an extent. Thank you for preparing me to become a leader, as well as a follower and knowing when to pick my spots wisely. Thank you for installing in me the everyday essentials to survive in order to adapt to new surroundings and challenges that come my way. Just thank you for being you, because in doing so I am who I am today and I am proud to say I am a product of your creation through the grace of God.

Your son,

Chauncey

1 comment:

  1. POW! I've said something similar to my parents. Very true.

    ReplyDelete